Returning the Favor and other Slices of Life

Returning the Favor
Returning the Favor
Now Available on Smashwords for Kindle and other ebook readers!

Saturday, May 31, 2008

And so it begins...

The WSOP 2008 edition has officially kicked off. The $10K Pot Limit Hold'em World Championship drew some big stars, including Doyle Brunson, Mike Sexton, Gavin Smith, Daniel Negreanu and a bunch of other people. My recap of the event is up at PokerNews, and there will be many more to follow over the next seven weeks.

I find it interesting, my work on these events. Since I'm not there, I don't have the kaleidoscope of emotions that a lot of other folks feel. I don't get the sense of homecoming that BJ talked about when he first walked in to see all the people that he hasn't seen in a long time. I don't get the sense of dread that Pauly has written about, because most of my work is done in my underpants on my sofa (sometimes I sit at my desk in my underpants for a change of scenery). And I don't get Otis' famous thousand-yard stare by week five.

I'm separate from the folks with boots on the ground, but what I do is almost equally important. The stuff I do is for a lot of people the only way they get their WSOP news, and I take a lot of pride in that fact. Yeah, this marks the third year in a row that I've had to turn down the chance to go out and work the whole series (that whole day job thing), but I enjoy my part of it, and by the time I finish juggling directing a play, performing in another play, designing lights for the one I'm performing in, designing lights for a musical for a whole different company, working my regular job 50-ish hours per week and recapping roughly 1/3 of the events at the series, I think I'll be pretty happy to see August roll around as well. Oh yeah, and there's that new writing gig I just took on that will keep me up 'til ludicrous hours of the morning a few Sundays a month and add a couple more hours of writing onto my plate each week. So yeah, it might be a busy summer.

And did I mention I'm going to Vegas next week? And DC the week after that?

So a question out there for those of you who are way better at linking up other bloggers than me - is there a plug-in for Firefox (or preferably Flock) that can save a list of commonly used links so that I don't have to type in www.rapideyereality.com every time I wanna link up Otis?

This week's edition of the Falstaff home game is tonight, and I'm going to try something different. I'm going to work on not losing my first three buy-in in the first 90 minutes of the game. This week, I'm going to try to remember to look at my cards preflop, chase fewer gutterballs, and try to not get amazingly stuck and have to make a huge comeback in the last hour of the night. I set the number of gutshots I chase at 8, is anyone silly enough to take the under?
Blogged with the Flock Browser

3 comments:

gadzooks64 said...

Try http://del.icio.us/.

You can access it online as well as the FF addon.

It can/will also import your links for you if you want it to.

It can be a pain to set up at first but once it's done you'll be happy you did it.

Anonymous said...

I'll take the under on that ... IF there's a 4 minute time limit on it AND you have to chase to the river AND Nate the Elder is dealing each of the 8 hands..

<there, that should do it>

then again.. I traditionally take Red.

Pokerwolf said...

And DC the week after that?

If you want to see if we can get together for an evening, drop me an email: morlith at rocketmail dot com.

If nothing else, I can give you tips on where to go and so forth, since that's my home turf.