And not for the new TV I plan to buy this year (although I think I've decided on a 42" 720p HD flat screen. Still debating Plasma v. LCD, so I welcome input re:video games on different platforms, things like that). There are things I need to focus on this year to make myself happier and healthier, and hopefully putting them out there for the world to see will help me stick to them.
1) Get my weight down to my goal weight of 190 lbs. I put on some weight after Vegas, so I tipped the scales today at 220lbs. Still a helluva year health-wise, and I did manage to get my ass off the couch and do a quick 5-mile ride around the neighborhood, but I've gotta get back into the habit of paying attention to what I eat and exercising religiously.
2) Ride a metric century. A 100kM ride isn't out of the question for me, and hopefully I can manage on before mid-year.
3) Ride a total of 1,000 miles on the road. Miles on the exercise bike don't count, so I'm going to have to hammer a little bit to make this one, but it's worth it. Riding again today reminded me how free I feel when I'm on the bike, and how truly zen riding can be. God, what a hippie.
4) Be a profitable poker player. 2007 will go down as my first losing year, and it was ugly. A horrible run this summer decimated my bankroll, and it was only by the graces of PokerWorks and PokerNews that I was able to play at all the latter half of the year, much less go to Vegas. I finished out the year with a small win at last night's home game, and I'll be returning to the scene of my first going broke of 2007 early next week, so hopefully I can leave BadBlood's house with money this time, instead of giving it all to Otis and The Mark. Note to self - if you are out of position against both of them, having position on G-Rob doesn't help.
5) Take more trips with my wife. We had a bet on who would lose the most weight in 2007, and whoever won got to pick all our 2008 vacations. I won by a 3:1 margin, and decided that instead of a big vacation we'll be taking lots of short trips. Our trip to Kentucky for her high school reunion was really neat, and I love taking her new places. So keep an eye peeled for the Falstaff family in a location near you! Our only currently booked travels together are Vegas in December and Boston the weekend of May 18th, for my niece's graduate school commencement. Then there's Merlefest in April, which certain among you must sack up and join us for! It's the best boogie east of the Rockies, and if you can't get to Telluride, you have to come to Merlefest.
6) Write more real stories. Folks like Pauly, Otis and Mrs. Otis are constant inspirations in their writing. They put fingers to keyboards in ways that continue to amaze me. I have put out some decent prose from time to time, but I want to focus on writing more real stories, rather than just my normal banality. Rooster left me a really great compliment on a recent post about my family, and I want to share more of their stories. It's going to require focus, which is something I'm trying to acquire.
7) Beat Guitar Hero on Hard. I'm almost through the game on Medium, and it's tough, so I kinda dread stepping up to the next level, but it's fun to have a challenging game again.
Seven's a good number. If I come up with more things I want to accomplish this year, I'll put them down. Hope all of you find as much success in 2008 as you can ever dream of!
Thanks for stopping by. I don't say that often enough, but it means a lot to me that people actually swing through my little corner of the world and read my drivel. So thanks.