Returning the Favor and other Slices of Life

Returning the Favor
Returning the Favor
Now Available on Smashwords for Kindle and other ebook readers!

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Adminstratalysis

The Fat Guy is right. We can't get anything done anymore without going through 18 layers of paperwork and bullshit.

My day job is, oddly enough, not a poker player. Not really that odd for any of you that have played with me. I work for a theatrical lighting distributor, one of the largest in the world. We supply lighting equipment and expendables to movies, theatres, tv stations, etc. One thing we have hundreds of is batteries. I hear from a friend of mine that the emergency services folks in the gulf are in desperate need of batteries to get their radios and flashlights and other shite working. So I call the Red Cross, and tell them that I have hundreds of C, D, 9V and AA batteries available for donation to the relief efforts. On Thursday. It's now Tuesday and they haven't replied to any of my calls.

I don't have a lot of extra money, and what I do have has already gone into the Pokerstars charity tourneys. But I have batteries and leather work gloves, stuff people need. If anyone out there has any idea how I can get this stuff to the folks that need it, please let me know. I can ship stuff, I just need to know it will get received. But I'm not getting anything out of the powers that be, so maybe somebody out in the ether can help me help some folks. Email me - johnhartness at gmail.com if you have any ideas.

Thanks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you contact your local Red Cross chapter or try to call the national headquarters? If not, I'd suggest contacting the local chapter. One of the problems that they are facing is lack of storage space for donated items, not to mention responding to a myriad of offers of items for donation. That is probably why you haven't heard back yet.