Returning the Favor and other Slices of Life

Returning the Favor
Returning the Favor
Now Available on Smashwords for Kindle and other ebook readers!

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Back to the SNGs and some database crunching

So I've been wondering - if my numbers say I'm up $1400.00 for the last months, why don't I have any F'n money in my poker accounts? So the other night I sat down for some serious spreadsheeting.

I keep track of everything I play in an Excel spreadsheet. Mostly because if I'm sitting at my home PC, I want to play poker, not figure out how to use Pokertracker. Someday I'll order Iggy's Book on the subject. So my spreadsheet shows Monthly won/loss amount (July sucked) and Yearly won/loss amount (+$1,400.00 ish). But that doesn't go into where I'm winning or losing money. So I broke it down further, into $5 sit n' go's. $10 SNGs, Multi-Table Tournaments, and Home Games/Live Tourneys.

So I'm up for the year in all these categories, but here's what I figured out - Big tourneys are a boost, but since I cashed out most of those winnings and spent it on other stuff, that's not part of my bankroll. SNGs are profitable, and I should stick with them for now. Live games are seriously profitable (+500 ish for the year), so play those whenever possible. Lay off the pissant $1 SNGs, because they're a waste of time. Stay away from online ring games.

This last thing runs counter to everything I've read, seen or thought. But here's the deal - I can't handle the swings at the levels I play at. I deposit $100 every couple of weeks or so, and a couple of cold sessions at a Party Poker ring game cleans me out. My risk is better managed playing $5 and $10 sit n go tourneys, and using profits to play in low-level Multi-table tourneys. So that's the current plan - play the SNGs til my bankroll is sufficient to handle the swings at the ring games, then mix up my play. And maybe think about building a cash bankroll. But it's too easy to use the cash I win to live off of, thus not touching my other income. But I should try.

On another note - I'm thinking about uprgrading my chips. I'm thinking pretty seriously about these. Let me know what you think, if you've played with them, likes, dislikes, whatever.

Peace,

J

No comments: