Returning the Favor and other Slices of Life

Returning the Favor
Returning the Favor
Now Available on Smashwords for Kindle and other ebook readers!

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Goals are good. Right?

This is all stream-o-consciousness shite from an email I sent Felicia after her generous offer of advice with O8. Thought I'd share/document, since that is kinda the point of a blog. Go check out her blog, she's a helluva good person with a wicked sense of humor.


I'll dump the SNGs, and move into some of the cash games. I see what you mean about the longtermnature of the game, and I'm trying to spend some time this summer and fall shifting my game intoa more longterm game in general rather than being one of the school of fish that dabble in pokerreloading another $100 every couple of weeks into my internet bankroll. Not that I see me quitting a 60K/year job any time soon to play cards, but I am starting to set goals for myself.

1) Become a winning ring game player. Play within the limits of my bankroll and don't play stupid $1 NLHE tourneys on Stars just because I'm bored. The risk/reward ratio in those MTTs sucks with all the crazies.

2) Read at least one solid poker book each month for the rest of 2005. Starting with Harrington's 2 volumes. I think SSII is next after those, but not sure what should follow.

3) Be more selective in my tourney entries, going for the tourneys that suit my bankroll & style better.

4) Play at least one event at the WSOP 2006 and/or qualify online for a WPT event. That'll involve a summation of the first three and a shitload of luck, but why not have goals.

5) Blog more. It helps me think out issues with my game to write them out. And brings me people that give advice and invites to tourneys, so that's fun too!

So I have goals. Shit. That means I need to pay attention. Well, I'm not quitting my day job any time soon, but it would be nice to be a little more lucrative at this hobby, rather than having my entire upside for the year be based on one tournament win. Not that I'm complaining. But if I'm going to spend the time on poker that I'm spending - I need to spend it better and do it right. By separating the fish from the burden of their money.

Peace,

J

No comments: