Returning the Favor and other Slices of Life

Returning the Favor
Returning the Favor
Now Available on Smashwords for Kindle and other ebook readers!

Monday, April 04, 2005

Long weekend - but aren't they all?

So it's Monday morning and I've dragged out the funeral coat again. Bummer. My uncle Grady died Saturday morning after a long brutal fight with pancreatic cancer. It amazes me that we can put people in space and depose despots all over the world, but still haven't found a cure for cancer. This disease blinded my uncle in one eye, took his vitality, put him in a hospital room for months and finally killed him. I am of course saddened by his passing, but I am also glad that his sufferering is over. That's the kind of thing people usually say when folks die to make themselves feel better, but at least this time it's true. He went through a hell of a time, and I'm glad that he doesn't have to fight this fight any more. I miss him, but my memories of Grady are great - his fishing trips, his cookouts, good times, ever-present smile and a kind heart. God bless.

Now - to poker. Had a few folks over for cards this weekend - a pretty good game all told. Started around 6, played 'til midnight, had a blast. Memorable moments - my pocket 5s held up against Jewart's AJ and Candy's AQ, Esposito's Quad Aces beat out Candy's Full Boat (Aces full of 10s), Twitch caught and A on the river to beat Jewart's set of 10s. All in all a great time had by all, and I got to have the most fun, profiting about $60 in a $10 buy-in NLHE game.

Sunday night stuck another $50 in Party Poker and promptly ignored all the advice I was telling myself in a $10 SNG. Called with bad Aces, overvalued AJ, overplayed top pair, all the bad habits I'd been trying to break. Out in 6th position because I'm a dumbass. Decided to try a little limit Omaha Hi/Lo. Not a game to play over your limits in, or at least not for me, cause I SUCKED. Another $20 gone like a freight train (or a Montgomery Gentry song).

Took a break, read for a little while, and decided to try the real fishpond, the $25 NL tables. Played s couple of shorthanded tables, then found a soft-looking full table. Not a bad call. Three full boats later I'm up to about $95, then overvalued my pocket Qs against a guy who had just sat down and a real fish who'd been overplaying crap hands like K2 o/s all night. So as soon as I bet with my Hilton Sisters, I get a raise and a re-raise. If I'd been paying attention I'd a figured something was up. I wasn't. $50 later, new guy's pocket Ks made a set to triple him up, fishy's AA held up against my Qs and I'm still ahead, but not much. Shortly after that, the fish left and it was time to look for a new pond. And escape the ignominy of my sucker play. Found another little table and finished the night up about $15 overall (including my SNG loss and covering my O8 losses as well) so not a bad comeback. I needed it for my confidence level, since I'd had a bad week online.

Every since I won the tourney on Stars, I've been bouncing around levels, trying to find where my success lies. I think I'm going to stick with the $5 & $10 SNGs, the low buy-in MTTs at Stars, and the Party $25NL tables (when I'm feeling patient enough to handle the swings). That's my plan for the week, let's see how it goes. You'll find out almost as soon as I do.

Peace.

No comments: