Returning the Favor and other Slices of Life

Returning the Favor
Returning the Favor
Now Available on Smashwords for Kindle and other ebook readers!

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Is it still Monday?

No, but damn, this week is rolling FOREVER! Last weekend's poker pretty good - ended up about $80 in cash games, plus my perennial 4th-place finish in a monthly tourney I play in. I've played 5 times, gotten one 3rd, out of the money once, and 3 4th-place finishes. I get my buy-in back at 4th, so I feel like I should just not post a buy-in, play for 4 hrs, and then get up and randomly leave. It would have the same results.

I'm on a little break from online poker, trying to cut down on the hours I've played. I've seen my play slipping a bit online (and when you're only OK to start with, a little slip costs $$$$), so I' m gonna cool it for most of the week and play some more next week.

Got comps tonight to see Savion Glover's Improvography show, and I'm uber-stoked about that! I'm in a place theatrically where I want to push and explore new forms, so maybe his tap show will jar something loose. I'm looking for mime/percussionist/gymnasts for my upcoming production of Rosencrantz & Guildenstern, so maybe tap will work into that somewhere as well.

On a bummer note, Sam Mills, former Carolina Panther and linebackers coach, died Monday of cancer. He was a hell of a player, running back an interception for a touchdown that sparked the Panthers first-ever victory. He was also a hell of an inspiration, remaining on the sidelines motivating his boys to Super Bowl 38 after his diagnosis with cancer. They gave him maybe 3 months, he fought for almost 2 years. But he lost. And it's not fair. It's not fair that a good man is dead at age 45 to a disease that we could find a cure for if enough resources were pointed in that direction. It's not fair that my wife's best friend has to take a cocktail of drugs to keep his HIV under control while billions are spent in a useless war, and even more billions are spent on other useless pork-barrel bullshit causes when we need to look around and stop the dying. I'm a little bitter. Sue me.

No comments: