Returning the Favor and other Slices of Life

Returning the Favor
Returning the Favor
Now Available on Smashwords for Kindle and other ebook readers!

Monday, April 11, 2005

I SUCK!

Yesterday was not the best day for my poker self-image. I blew threw most of $50 in a day, which while isn't much in the grand scheme of things and I'm still up for the month of April, is a real pisser when you're playing the $5.50 sngs at Poskerstars. I guess I'm only really pissy because it's my own stupid lack of discipline that booted me in the arse again.

I'm sitting in a good position in the nightly $3 NLHE tourney on Stars, I've got something like $3500 in chips and we haven't gotten to the first break yet, so I'm feeling pretty good. I figure if I just sit out the rest of the time until the break, I'll be fine, then I can come back in once most of the maniacs are gone and the blinds are high enough to care about. But NOOOOOO. In my typical "I have a big stack, so I can play more straight draws and middle pairs" mindset, I piss through all the stack in an amazingly short time and find myself needing to focus on the Limit Stud $1 tourney I was in at the same time. Now I was also sitting pretty there, which is amazing since I barely understand the rules to Stud, much less the strategy, but hey, it was a buck. But of course, I stop following the policies that got me a pile of chips the first time (only play 4th street if I have a big pair, split or buried, or if I have 3 to a flush and one is paint to start) and bow out of that one ungracefully as well. I'm going to take a night or two off, watch season 2 of 21 Jump Street on DVD, and re-arrange my CDs. I need a break from pokah for a day or two.

The Celebrity Theatre Poker Tourney (a monthly event) is next Sunday, so I want to make sure I get a nap before the tourney starts at 6. We usually have 14-18 folks for a $20 buy-in tourney, and the play gets pretty solid once we're down to 6-8 folks, and we all have a good time every month. My plan this month is to not call Mad Jim unless I have the absolute nuts (he will chase any flush, any time), and pay close attention to Hallie's play and see if I can pick up some kind of read on her. Jim has put me out or crippled me in the last 2 tourneys, and Hallie has won both of them. For the record, I'm in pretty good shape at these tourneys, with 2 4ths, 1 3rd and one out of the money finish, so I'm ahead $20 for the series. But it would be nice to take one down.

Lilo, Twitch and Phil came over for a late-night game saturday night, and then Lilo and Phil and I chatted strategy for a while after. Twitch got pissy when his wench came by, so he dumped a pile of chips on Lilo in a bad All-in bluff abd then left. We didn't wanna do much 3-handed so once I emptied Phil's stack again, we just shot the shit for a while. We're gonna try to do some practice work this weekend before the big tourney. Maybe I can set up a small tourney Saturday and we can practice.

Buy the 21 Jump Street DVDs, for the fashion traumas alone!

Peace

No comments: